Monday, September 24, 2007

stubby

This is all that remains of my trusty old underglaze pencil that has served me faithfully for over a year. I use it to sign the base of all my work (except the really super duper translucent pieces, which would crumble into shards if I pressed on them with this clunky old pencil).
A few days ago I decided stubby's days were numbered and it was time to get a new long shiny sexy underglaze pencil. I was so excited at the prospect of being able to sign my name once more without feeling totally uncoordinated - have you ever tried to sign your name with a 2cm long pencil...its a bit trickyI tell ya!

So I had a whole kiln load of work lined up (in nice straight rows of course) ready to be signed. But when I went to sharpen the shiny new model, it had totally disappeared. I turned my house, my studio and my car upside down in search of that damn pencil but to no avail. Talk about annoyed. I swore a lot.

Once again i had to make do with little stubby here. So if you happen to be looking at some of my work and think my signature looks like it was done by a 3 year old, it is more than likely going to have been scrawled very uncoordinately using the pathetic remains of dear old stubby here. The last of a long line.

Of course, after I had signed all the work I found the new one. In a really obvious place.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

my commiserations, that is the kind of thing that happens to me far too frequently :-)

reb said...

Did make me giggle though...

Ursula Achten said...

I'm sure from now on you won't be able to write your name onto a newborn pot with your shiny new pencil. All you will be able to write will be "stubby" "stubby" "stubby"...
Nice nickname and the final retaliation of an envious pencil, hehe.

Kirsty said...

Oh, ain't that always the way!

Anonymous said...

I have never heard of the underglaze pencils until your post and now I'm super excited! I was wonder if you could tell me about how long one of those pencils last? I think I might invest in one, but I'm a poor college student so I want to know for sure it will last a while with the amount I will have to spend on it. I always get frustrated carving my name into the bottom of pots then have it being rough, so this would be a great solution! Thanks for sharing! I love you work, I've been going through older posts after older posts!