Thursday, February 17, 2011

Forming Words


Well you know I love a bit of text, and I'm quite keen on ceramics too, so its nice to be part of a show that celebrates all things ceramicky AND texty. Here's the exhibition blurb, and a big thank you to Sophie Milne and Ingrid Tufts for organising the show. Its at Pan Gallery in Melbourne, and opens March 3rd. Pop along if you can!

"Text on ceramics has a long and rich history, from ancient pictograms scratched on clay tablets to provocative works from the conceptual art movement of the 60s and 70s. Forming Words is an exhibition designed to explore and articulate ideas within this popular movement in ceramic practice.

Ceramic art has the ability to communicate without words, through touch, sight and use, making the decision to incorporate text a deliberate and potentially provocative choice. Eight Australian ceramicists exhibit works that explore how the written word furthers our appreciation of a three dimensional artwork, merging text and form to convey a cohesive idea."

Exhibiting artists: Jane Walton, Connie Lichti, Kylie Johnson, Mel Robson, Jan Downes, Ingrid Tufts, Wendy Hadfield-Smith, Sarit Cohen

5 comments:

Anne-Berte said...

Many great artists !!! Wish I could come :-)

amy rice said...

love your work

Art Epicurean said...

Beautiful work! I blog about art and food - so your work truely inspires me. Thank you

cathyb said...

Hey so happy I found you - I love your work - I lover your absence of art series - show us more more more - what are you working on now?

Sophie Munns said...

Lovely image of yours doing the rounds of Pinterest Mel! Its great to see your work here at your blog!

We tried to work out who had produced the image today and tracked back to you... I recently joined Pinterest to track all my images and put them together as they had been taken from my sites and didn't always have the link back to me as creator!
PInterest does acknowledge the person who first posted the images though!
Sophie