Monday, April 4, 2011

I heART Japan


Japan holds a special place in my heart. I spent 3 years at university studying its culture and language, an amazing couple of years living and working there in my early 20s, and many of my family and friends hail from Japan. So it has been distressing, to say the least, watching events unfold there over the last few weeks. Kenji Uranishi - my dear friend, co-collaborator, studio buddy and all-round super guy - and his equally awesome wife Sonia have organised the I heART Japan online charity art auction to raise money for the Red Cross Japan and Pacific Appeal 2011. They have gathered together a wonderful collection of work from 20 artists from across the country (ceramics, painting, photography, design, sculpture) to be auctioned on eBay from 7-10th April. I'm so glad to be able to be a part of this and have donated the two bowls pictured below for auction.

It has been a tragic and surreal start to the year and the magnitude of the disaster(s) is hard to comprehend. But if you can, please support the I heART Japan auction and help out whilst also getting yourself some wonderful artworks.

The work of all participating artists can be previewed HERE in advance of the auction and bidding starts HERE on Thursday April 7th (8pm EST) and ends Sunday April 10th (8pm EST).

10 comments:

Rick said...

Mel, I love your work - the combination of text, images and ceramics.

Can you have a look at:

http://ricks-houseonthehill.blogspot.com/2011/07/handmade-ceramics.html

and tell me if the "Measuring the spaces between two houses, the distance is not in metres but in time, it's not that I need a ruler but that I need a bottle to contain the water that is shed..." piece is yours...

Mel Robson said...

Hi Rick,

Thank you, and no, that piece is not mine! Afraid I can't solve the mystery for you either as I don't recognize the work. Interesting text on it though! Quite the collection of pots you have there! great!

Looks like a beautiful place you have too, and I also love the word indefatigable!! 3 year olds certainly give true meaning to the word!

Natas Setiabudhi said...

Hi Mel,
I'm Natas from Bandung, Indonesia. I salute to you and all artist who care to japan people for earthquake disaster. By the way, i really love your works. It's beautiful. The translucent one, is it bone china?

David said...

I love the style of "I heART Japan". Thanks for sharing! Those bowls are so nice!

crazy painter said...

Any new ideas or news for us? I would love to order products from your shop this coming holiday season.

Amanda said...

Hey Mel
Been a fan for a long time! Are you making your own silk screen decals?

-amanda

Paper Moon said...

hey i have just found your blog. your work is amazing x

gayacac said...

Such a nice blog displaying your beautiful pcs....
Check out our workshop & RA programs in Ubud Bali Indonesia www.gayaceramic.com
http://gayacac.blogspot.com/

Looking at Ceramics said...

Great post! Been looking into ceramics a lot recently, and i really like your stuff! Thanks for all the pics and info!

Bredn @ Artisan said...

Love your work and hope to see you back soon...