Friday, April 20, 2007

Blue Bird Bowl

Another little experiment. While I was kiln-less and unable to fire any new work, I dragged out a few old pieces that were packed away in boxes or half finished, and played around with them - slip sliding decals, cutting and pasting, just experimenting really. I've been working with decals for a few years now, and so have quite a stash of them, lots of little snippets and leftover bits and bobs crammed and stuffed into folders and envelopes in a big disorganised mess! Sometimes I like to get all those snippets out and just play around with them to find a way to use them up. Waste not want not I always say.
(slipcast porcelain bowl with decals, 7cm x 9cm)


OOOPS!! Damn!! About 15 minutes after posting that blue bowl, the photographic backdrop it was sitting on came unstuck from the wall, slid to the ground and took my little blue bowl with it! Bummer...I liked that little piece! Oh well, something you just gotta get used to in this business! I learnt that very early on! Onwards and upwards!

8 comments:

simone said...

oh no!! that was a beautiful little bowl..

Ursula Achten said...

What a big sh....!
Two possibilities:
-Wreck it to proper peaces, sand the corners, "put" a hole into it and wear it as a necklace.
-Start a collection of wrecked bowls (if you haven't already) to build a mosaic-band through your studio.
This was a VERY BEAUTIFUL bowl!

Mel Robson said...

Thanks for the commiserations guys! I'm still a bit peeved about it!! But nice suggestions uschi. I do have quite a collection of shards and always hang on to them. One day I'll get around to doing something with them!

Anonymous said...

Bugger! that little bowl was so sweet. Thanks for including dimensions now in your posts :-)

Mel Robson said...

especially for you Miss Dot!

Florence Forrest said...

I don't envy the fagility of the ceramics...I on the other hand get quite fussy thinking about stitches coming undone...:P

lovely bowl it was too.

xx

graciela shoes said...

saw your work on bloesem today and love everything...especially the cutlery set. so pretty.

you've probably already seen this...

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html

but i thought i would send it anyway.

Mel Robson said...

Hi Graciela, thanks, and great link! Would solve my breakage problem! I might just try that! (nice blog by the way! lovely pics)