Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Pattern Recognition

At the beginning of last year I was part of an exhibition called Pattern Recognition, curated by Andrea Higgins and Rahna Devenport and shown at Craft QLD and Object Gallery in Sydney. It was inspired by William Gibson’s book Cool Hunting, and looks at the ways in which Australian and New Zealand artists are using pattern in object making. It’s been a fantastic show to be involved in, and its life just keeps getting longer and longer – it’s recently been up to Rockhampton
and Gladstone Regional Galleries, and just received funding to tour NSW, QLD, South Australia and Western Australia. And little old me gets to tour with it and babble on about my work and my process! Bit excited about that! Love an interstate jaunt I do! First cab off the rank is the Noosa Regional Gallery, opening this Friday night (Feb 2nd), and myself and curator Andrea Higgins will also be giving a talk on Saturday afternoon at 1pm. (And then I’m going straight to the beach!) The artists in the show are Dorothy Filshie, Joanna Bone, Helen Britton, Ann-Maree Hanna, David Trubridge, Damien Frost, Sara Hughes, Mavis Ngallametta, and moi. There’s some really beautiful work in this show so if anyone is in the area pop in. A bit more info on the show can be found here and here.


(images: top left Dorothy Filshie, top right David Trubridge, above left Mel Robson, above right Joanna Bone, and Damien Frost above) NB: Artist talk is at 1pm, not 10am as I originally posted! Oops. At least I get a sleep in now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, you are coming to Perth? which gallery will you be in here do you know yet?

Mel Robson said...

Hello Miss Dot! Yep, Perth here I come! It will be at FORM. But it's a while off yet before it makes it there...will keep you posted.

trisha said...

have just found your lovely blog and gorgeous work! any chance your work is available online?