Thursday, May 10, 2007

Paul Wood

Paul Wood is a Melbourne based artist who makes wonderful sculptures of found objects. I first met Paul and saw his work at the 3rd World Ceramic Biennale in South Korea a few years ago. I loved his piece Maeshi kromb and mash where after having dinner with his family he picked up the dishrack filled with all the washed up dinner dishes, saucepans and cutlery etc and popped it in the kiln lock stock and barrel and fired it until everything melted and slumped and warped. His exhibition Domestic Slump (above) at Craft Victoria in 2005 was a group of precarious towers of similarly slumped domestic objects, and his latest show (image below) has just opened at the La Trobe University Visual Arts Centre , and looks like a cracker! Someone has been busy raiding the bathroom section of op shops! You can read a bit more about the work here. It's on until May 28. Wish I could go....i like Victoria....and it must be so lovely and chilly there right now....

5 comments:

HANDMADELIFE said...

yes Mel, the weather has just turned and there is a decided nip in the air, by the way that show at Craft Vic was a cracker, cant wait to get to La Tobe to check out the bathroom suites.

Mel Robson said...

hello handmadelifer! I love a good nip in the air! Have been coveting your ceramics collections of late too...very nice indeed!

Anonymous said...

Hi, First I have to say I love your work and secondly I love this exhibition. I study at La Trobe in Bendigo and this was one of the best shows we have had in the new arts centre.
Carly

Mel Robson said...

Hi Carly, and thanks! Glad to hear you enjoyed Paul's work. I really wish I could have seen it!

Anonymous said...

You write very well.