Friday, July 20, 2007

Out and About

I’ve been feeling a little uninspired of late. Normally brimful of ideas and bursting at the seams to make them all, I can’t help but get a little anxious when these moments creep up on me and I can’t seem to shake them. So I’m taking a little break and have spent the week looking at and thinking about other people’s work instead of my own. It’s been a veritable feast of yummy art work here in Brisvegas, with the Howard Arkley retrospective at GOMA, Robert Dickerson at Phillip Bacon, and Blast! out at Redcliffe Art Gallery. Blast! is a little gem of a show that looks at the influence of manga and contemporary Japanese culture on Australian artists. It includes work by Michael Doolan (image above, Big Boo Who, 2005), Patricia Piccinini and Alasdair Macintyre, to name just a few. Bum Crane and I made the trek out there today to catch it before it closes, and it was well worth it.

Rebuilding Babylonian Edifice, Alasdair Macintyre, 2004 (miniature tableaux of storm troopers examining Picasso's Geurnica)

After raiding the local Redcliffe bakery and scoring ourselves some very excellent op shop bargains, we took a walk along the pier stuffing our faces with bakery treats and soaking up the warm winter sun. Much better than an uninspired day in my cold studio!

some local fellas enjoying the Redcliffe sun

4 comments:

Libbyditcharse said...

Hey Mel, The Blast exhibition at Redcliffe was a find.,very bloody sweeet,!

Anonymous said...

So sorry I am missing that one... the Storm Troopers tableaux put me over the edge - I love it!

Anna Davern said...

I refuse to believe that it is cold in Brisbania!

I think everyone I know has been hit by the uninspirationals! My excuse is that my tool kit is probably swimming in the Indian Ocean having fallen off it's container ship. But, by geez, it's hard to get off the couch at the moment (or even out of bed).

Mel Robson said...

Good to know I'm not alone Anna! And by geez by crikey it does get a touch chilly in winter up here you know! Certainly not as cold as MELBOURNE, but I have had to drag out the woolies a few times thus far!